Dubbo golf fans will get another chance to watch local talent in action when the NSW Open Regional Qualifying Series comes to town in September.
Member for the Dubbo electorate Dugald Saunders joined with Dubbo Golf Club general manager Rod Archer to announce club professional Craig Mears and +2 marker Lachlan Jones will be in the field for the September 8-9 event.
“Lachlan is one of the most promising young players to come through the ranks in Dubbo for a long time, and he actually qualified for the NSW Open two years ago when he was just 16,” Mr Saunders said.
“Earlier this year when Dubbo Golf Club hosted the NSW Womens Open I was able to work with Golf NSW to secure a spot in the field for Ella Murray, and her inclusion in the event added a terrific dimension to the tournament.
“When it was announced that Dubbo would host a qualifying event for the Mens NSW Open, I spoke with Rod Archer and we agreed it would be wonderful to have Lachlan and Craig involved in the event on their home layout.
“As a government we have invested in Dubbo Golf Club to the tune of $1.3 million for irrigation and a disability access lift, and the return on that investment is the ability to bring these events to town and show off what we have to offer
The tournament will be preceded by a Pro-Am event on Monday, September 7, meaning the club will be a hive of activity for three days.
Mr Archer said hosting the event is another win for the club, and admitted work has already been done to ensure a COVID-safe environment for players, officials and spectators.
“When we hosted the Womens Open it was prior to any of the lockdowns and physical distancing wasn’t a phrase we had heard of,” Mr Archer said.
“But we’ve been mindful of abiding by the health orders, and we will work within those when it comes to hosting the NSW Open regional qualifier.
“It’s a boost for us to host events of this calibre, and we are grateful to the NSW Government for the work they do with Golf NSW to take the game to regional areas.”