Domestic and family violence services in the region that are experiencing increased demand as a result of COVID-19 can now apply for a share of $9 million in funding.
Member for the Dubbo electorate Dugald Saunders said the COVID-19 Sexual, Domestic and Family Violence Grant program aimed to ensure more victim-survivors can access services at this crucial time.
“Many domestic violence services have moved quickly to innovate and adapt their supports during the pandemic – when women and children may have struggled to access help,” Mr Saunders said.
“A safe home is something many of us take for granted, but for those suffering abuse, home can be a place of terror. That’s where our hard working police and support services come in.
“I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all frontline services and their workers across our region for their unwavering dedication in supporting vulnerable victim-survivors.
“I strongly encourage organisations to apply for this funding. It might be used to launch a new program or expand or adapt an existing one to ensure those suffering domestic or family violence can get the help they need.”
The program offers one-off grants between $20,000 and $150,000 to eligible services.
Mr Saunders said an Australian Institute of Criminology report released last month revealed an increase in domestic violence during the pandemic, with many victims reporting it was the first time their partner had been violent towards them.
Grant applications are now open and will close at 5pm (AEST) on Wednesday, 23 September 2020. To apply, complete the online application via the SmartyGrants portal, at https://www.women.nsw.gov.au/commissioning/DFVCovid19Funding.
For confidential advice, support and referrals related to domestic and family violence, contact: 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732), The NSW Domestic Violence Line (1800 65 64 63) or Men’s Referral Service (1300 766 491).