Pip Smith’s years of commitment to making Wellington a better place to live has been rewarded.
Member for the Dubbo electorate Dugald Saunders used a surprise ceremony in Wellington on Wednesday to announce that Mrs Smith has been crowned as the Dubbo Electorate Woman of the Year.
“There are so many people in our communities who do great work that flies under the radar,” Mr Saunders said.
“As parliamentarians, each year we get the chance to award someone with the ‘Woman of the Year’ title and I couldn’t think of anyone more deserving this year than Pip Smith.
“She is involved in so many groups and events in Wellington and this award is my way of saying thank you to her for all of her efforts.”
Mrs Smith was shocked to receive the award, but grateful for everything Wellington has given her and her family.
“Being involved in the community is a really good way to show your children how to give back,” she said.
“We live in a great town. It’s a wonderful community, a great place to live and the more you give the more you get back.”
Mrs Smith’s list of community involvement is long, but includes:
- Former Wellington councillor
- Former president of the St Mary’s P and F
- Current chair of Wellington local health council
- Vice president of the Wellington CWA branch
- Committee member and life member of the Wellington Swim Club
- Secretary of Western Area Swimming
- Minute-taker for the Wellington branch of NSW Farmers
- Registrar and committee member of the Wellington Eisteddfod
- Member of the consultative committee of the Bodangora Community Fund