Dubbo Golf Club will play host to the fourth of six regional qualifiers for the 2021 NSW Mens Open, with revised dates for the events announced on Friday.
The COVID-19 pandemic wreaked havoc with the original schedule of qualifiers for the event, however negotiations between Golf NSW and the NSW Government has resulted in a revised schedule that will see Dubbo play host to more than 100 of the state’s top golfers from February 19-21 next year.
Other locations to host qualifiers are Coffs Harbour, Tweed Heads, Corowa, Queanbeyan and Moruya.
Member for the Dubbo electorate Dugald Saunders said he is excited that the event could be rescheduled from its original September date.
“After the success of the NSW Womens Open at Dubbo earlier this year, it was great that we could attract this event to our region,” Mr Saunders said.
“Obviously the pandemic ensured it couldn’t go ahead on its original date, but I’m glad the government has been able to work with Golf NSW to ensure all six regional qualifiers can go ahead.
“These events will provide further economic boosts to the region and I look forward to watching the action in February.”
Deputy Premier John Barilaro said the NSW Government is committing $2.1 million over three years to assist Golf NSW to stage the tournaments in regional locations across NSW, where professional and amateur golfers can vie for a total prize pool of $300,000.
“Golf clubs are an essential part of regional sporting communities across the state and for the first time the NSW Government has teamed up with Golf NSW to provide an option for regional clubs to host qualifying events for the NSW Open,” Mr Barilaro said.
“Professional and amateur golfers usually have to travel to Sydney to qualify for the NSW Open, but staging these events in their own backyard will hopefully give them a hometown advantage as well as bring tourism to the regions, putting dollars in local coffers.”