Member for the Dubbo electorate Dugald Saunders has sought to provide an update on community sport during the COVID-19 pandemic.
On Wednesday, updated advice was released to clarify concerns that arose after the release of an update from the Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant earlier in the week.
“The updated advice says that in regional NSW, existing competition structures or scheduling should aim to minimise the need for overnight travel,” Mr Saunders said.
“As a result, existing competitions within our region such as rugby union, rugby league, soccer, AFL, netball and so on can continue as they have been.
“These organisations have put a lot of work into preparing COVID plans and there have been no outbreaks in our region to this point.
“With regards to any semi-professional sport, this can continue with a COVID safety plan in place, with an emphasis on full compliance with all elements of the plan.
“I have spoken with a number of the sporting organisations across the electorate and outlined this to them, as I understand there was a lot of angst about whether competitions could continue.”
- Anyone seeking further information on the most recent advice in relation to community sport should visit https://www.sport.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/faqadvicesport.pdf